For best results, make this the day before you want to serve!
This is exactly the type of recipe that's perfect when you're asked to bring dessert. With all the food allergies and dietary restrictions these days, you wouldn't want any of the party guests to have to miss out.
What You'll Need
- 8x8 inch baking dish
- electric mixer (or powerful arms) and large mixing bowl
- additional medium mixing bowl
- sharp knife
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil at room temperature (it should be the consistency of soft butter)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Cup Coconut Flour, sifted (95g)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 2 tsps Lemon zest (about 1 large lemon)
- 2 tsps Coconut flour, sifted
- Juice of 3 large lemons (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 inch pan with coconut oil.
- In the large bowl of your mixer, beat together the honey, coconut oil and pinch of salt until creamy and smooth. Stir in the coconut flour until a dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and bake until just light golden brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Lower the temperature of your oven to 325 degrees.
- Gently - by hand - whisk together the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a large bowl. Do not over-beat the eggs.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk the coconut flour into the lemon juice, a little bit at a time, until well mixed. Make sure you continually whisk as you add the flour so that it doesn't clump up.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture into the egg mixture, whisking while you pour, until evenly combined.
- Pour the topping on top of the cooled crust and bake until it is just set, and the very center is just slightly jiggly, about 21-23 minutes. Let cool completely at room temperature. Then, cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, best over-night. You need to let the crust completely cool, or it will be soft.
- Using a VERY sharp knife (or else you might not cut through the crust) cut the bars into squares and enjoy!